Sarah Johns Music Party

Union Chapel, Islington
Sarah Johns (vocals, guitar, drum); David Levin (percussion); ? (backing vocals); ? (backing vocals);

Loyal
Keep Holding Me
Green Bud
others I can't remember

Why? Why do they look so unfortunate and insipid while they sing on a stage? I understand it is part of an act, but... why? I found myself feeling guilty and sorry for the poor sad things.
The music itself was not bad, but there was hardly any at all. A few lethargic notes repeated stereotypically, on a candy-commercial-type of rhythm; one of those situations where you expect something to happen, but it never does. I listened to one song, it was all rather fun, but the rest were all the same, which was no longer fun at all.
And this entire apathetic performance and lack of enthusiasm was all dressed in the brightest joyful red! And called a Music Party! Three tired, indifferent girls dragged to the party by force, that's how it all looked. Even the jokes were said in an awkward voice: Thanks for coming... to church
I have a strong suspicion that this is the kind of atmosphere they were trying to convey, and they succeeded brilliantly, although I can't see why? So looking back, I still find myself confused by this peculiar, minimalist act.